This morning we had a little lay in then fired up the engine and headed our gorgeous Zulu down towards Cambridge. We had a really chilled out cruise, as almost everyone was heading out of Cambridge rather than in after the celebrations yesterday. All the locks were the wrong way around though so they took blooming ages to get through but it meant there was time to natter with the folks going the other way which is always interesting.
By the time we got to Cambridge we were peckish so we went to our absolute favourite restaurant - Anatolia's - for a fantastic Turkish meal. Om nom indeed!! After dinner, we went to play in Ark and I managed to come away WITHOUT the beautiful platter I desperately wanted! Are you impressed??!
We cruised home and then to appease the teenager who'd been left working/on her own boat I quickly made a pineapple upside down cake to pop in the oven! It's already ALL GONE!! lol!
Ingredients: 3 eggs, 150g butter, 150g s/r flour, teaspoon baking powder, 150g caster sugar, teaspoon good vanilla extract, 4 pineapple rings, four tablespoons golden syrup.
- Grease and line an 8" round tin with a sealed base. Lay out the pineapple rings and drizzle the syrup over the top. Make sure that the rings don't leave a completely sealed space in the middle as it's harder for that bit of sponge to cook.. let it seep between the rings a bit! You can pop a glace cherry in the middle of each ring if you feel like it!
- Cream together the butter and sugar and beat until it lightens in colour. Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs and beat again for at least a few minutes (if it curdles add a little of the flour) until when you drizzle some mixture over itself it looks like a ribbon gently sat on top.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder in, and fold in gently
- Turn out into the baking tin, carefully spreading over the pineapple and syrup.
- Cook on gas 6 for approximately 40 mins but check after 30 (slide a stick of raw dried spaghetti in to the middle and if it comes out clean it's done!)
- Turn out onto a plate straight away- if you want to add more syrup now is the time! It's best served piping hot covered in cream! lol!