Monday, 11 April 2011

My cat beats me up but I'm too old to ring Childline...

Hi! Did you have a gorgeous weekend in the sun?? Wasn't it amazing?? We went for a bit of a pootle on Saturday morning to get some extra chairs for the garden (the teenager has a signifant other now so we need more seating outside!) and then Mr W went off to play rugby and I sat in the sun for a little bit longer. Perfect.
After a bit I went off to watch the game, knowing it would only take me about fifteen minutes to get there I wasn't in a big rush.
Forty five minutes later I pull up in the carpark - the sat nav on the Jag is LIAR!! Big time! I was sooo annoyed! The silly thing is, the match was in a village called Cottenham and if I'd been driving there from Cambridge I wouldn't have even fired up the sat nav but I don't know the way accross the back of the villages out our side, North of Cambridge.
Luckily for me there happened to be a stray rugby player out by the gate of the grounds (which I thought was slightly odd but rather convenient...).
By the time I had walked through the site and found the pitch I was getting more concerned about that stray player though as despite it being slightly in to the second half, and everything to play for as if our lot won there's no way they can be beaten for the league winners now, everyone was kind of milling about looking bored. Then Mr W appeared and pointed out the small group around a stricken player in the middle of the pitch. Luckily at that distance I wasn't able to see the bone that was by all accounts sticking out of his forearm. Nice. It took about an hour for the ambulance to get there (only six in our county, did you know that?) and the guy didn't make a squeak the whole time. Tough as nails. Even when the kindly ambulance folks put his arm in a splint and moved him into the ambulance not a sound passed his lips. Amazing. There would have been split eardrums everywhere if that had been me. I felt so awful for him, but (and I feel a bit guilty about this) so very relieved that it was him and not Mr W. That's fair enough isn't it? I wouldn't wish such a nasty injury on anyone, but definately not on MY boy...

So by the time we got home from this match (where my lot TOTALLY kicked ass and won by a long way!) it was almost half past six and we were determined to take the boat out overnight. The teenager had been warned, her fridge had been stocked, and the cats were inside shouting at me that they hadn't had their tea yet (we have a new routine where they get treats/wet food in addition to their usual dry stuff every night at tea time so we don't have to waste time hunting for them when we're ready to take the boat out!) and the folding chairs were on the roof ready to go.

We threw ourselves onboard, untied the ropes and headed out. We didn't go too far, just enough that we were in the middle of nowhere for a peaceful night. A lot of people seem determined to only ever cruise their boats to pubs but we really like finding a patch of deserted river with no one else around and bashing in our pegs there. Are we antisocial? Praps... a bit...

Sometimes the cow-beasties and ships (sheep - sorry - Pratchett know...) come and say hello, sometimes they don't, but there's always someone we know cruising past for a quick wave and chat which is enough!
So we moored just around the corner on the Old West and it was gorgeous. Of our two cats, Kevin is the intrepid explorer and brave man so he was straight out for a good explore to find something small, fluffy, and crunchy in the undergrowth whereas our little man, Malcolm, kind of hovers by me (obviously in case I need protecting...!). Joseph just goes where the food is!

Kevin (AKA Monster)

Malcolm (AKA Malcolm-the-destroyer, & "little man")
Joseph (AKA Poopy)

After a great nights sleep onboard I was rudely awoken by Malcolm who kept headbutting and punching me on the nose.  He likes his love in the morning and he obviously thought it was time I got on with his fussing.  Hmmm.  At least (unlike Kevin) he doesn't claw you til you fuss him.  It wasn't a nice awakening though!  I gave up and got up anyways and we set off towards Ely waterfront for a cream tea at Peacocks. They have proper old mismatched china and so many gorgeous loose leaf teas that it's hard to choose! We do like a bit of Kwazulu though! Try it if you get the chance!!

After this I went nextdoor to the antique mall to get some beautiful little china coffee cups I saw the week before that were crying out to be made into candles.
It's pretty easy but really satisfying, and the look lush when they're done up in their cellophane!

(this one's going to my mums tonight, as a cheering pressie!)

This one is in my folksy shop!

I made these while we were cruising home which was lovely. Then I sat in the garden, we bbq'd, our friends came and chilled out on our side of the path (they live on their boat behind the trees!), and I got hideously burnt (I put suncream on on Saturday morning and instantly reacted to it so had to scrub it off fast!) but it was an awesome weekend! I finished off with listing all the gorgeous Cath Kidston stuff I made in my shop!  Click here to see it:

So I'll leave you with a picture of the state I'm in today and ask for as much love as possible as I'm not fluffy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment