Saturday, 2 April 2011

Beware of strange cookies and pillows!

Firstly, let me apologise for not writing anything for a bit. I have good excuses/reasons but nevertheless, I'm sorry!

So last weekend was my first little fayre. What was originally a village fayre actually morphed into a jumble sale so whilst my table looked beautiful and I sold quite a lot of cakes I sold only a few craft items as people weren't expecting that kind of thing there. The plus point was the organisers were very keen for me to commit to exhibiting at their Christmas Craft Fayre - a long way off yet but a nice confidence boost for me on my first face-to-face exhibition of my work.

You can see my mum here -she shared the table with her own card creations!

I was a little nervous about displaying my cupcakes as I'd had to make them in a real rush as I was finishing a 50th Birthday Cake for a friend that she'd commissioned for her husbands birthday. She wanted his motorbike clubs backpatch on there and its quite a complicated design. In the end I handpainted a patch, then the lettering and moved the patches on to the cake. I was relieved at how good it looked!

The cupcakes got a lot of compliments - but the ones that made me laugh were all the people that said that they didn't look real! Probably the sparkly edible glitter! There was a cake stall at the other end of the hall with a lot of ladies who were obviously a bit of a village institution with their buns and I could see a few looks peering down at me. One of the ladies actually came and had a look but she said she daren't buy any, and then glanced nervously back at the others... lol!

Our teenager manfully took one for the team and went and tried the competitions buns but her description is one I'd best not repeat here!

I had a few of my oversized sunglass cases out on display, and a couple of purses and makeup bags, and I was pleased with how pretty they looked in all their Cath Kidston glory! :o)

By the time mum and I were all packed up and ready to head home my back was really achy so Mr W treated the teenager and me to dinner next door at the pub. After that we came home and I put my feet up and indulged in a simple Maryland Chocolate Chip cookie - to which for some strange reason I had a very fast allergic reaction. Mostly these days when I have a reaction I take my drugs and ride it out at home but my throat quickly started closing up this time so it was off to A&E and straight into resus. The team there are fantastic and they know me well (30+ visits in just over a year will get you remembered...) so they quickly administered what I needed and after a few hours I was allowed to leave. They know I know my reaction, and that we live pretty close to the hospital if I need to get back quickly!

So as we were on holiday this week, Monday and Tuesday were spent pootling about on the boat with me recovering. I get left feeling like I've been beaten up a bit and have lead bones after a reaction but Mr W takes excellent care of me - poor guy. Then Wednesday meant a trip to the hospital for a scheduled endoscopy and a camera down my throat to see if there's some obvious cause for all the allergic reactions, and some biopsies for non-obvious causes. Having been told I'd be out for a maximum of half an hour, two hours later my poor long suffering husband came looking for me.... It took a lot of sedation to get me to sleep and therefore took a long time for me to wake up afterwards. I had a bit of an itchy neck and Mr W pointed out a big rash where a cloth had been laid over the strange pillow in the theatre. I felt a bit puffy and had a bit of a sore throat but having had a camera stuffed down my throat I felt this was quite reasonable.
We home home around 3pm and I curled up on the sofa under my slanket (yes, I have one and I LOVE IT!!) but within an hour my eyes were streaming and crusty and swallowing was just agony. By five o'clock I was having to drool into a bowl as there was no way could swallow, my whole face was swollen and I could barely see so we headed back to our friends at the hospital and I was shocked to see the reaction of my lovely resus team when the saw me. Mr W actually took a couple of photos to show the allergy team but I'll share them with you...
This is a photo from our wedding a couple of years ago - I'm a bit (ok, quite a lot) chunkier now but shows the contrast of what I normally look like to how I looked on Wednesday night!
My whole face swelled up and my neck was huge, and I almost instantly developed conjunctivitus and my eyes are still quite yellow. This reaction really freaked me out as it was to something unknown, and didnt follow my usual pattern. I was given an adrenalin nebuliser to get the adrenalin to the place it was needed the most and luckily it worked fast. I am utterly exhausted even today, three days later, and still feel very breathless and beaten up. No more cookies or unknown pillows for me!!

So as you can see, I've been a busy bunny, but it's back to the day job for me on Monday so hopefully another couple of days relaxing will work wonders. For those of you who are lucky enough to be mums I hope you have a great day tomorrow, and for those of you who aren't mums I hope you take the time to spoil yourself anyways!

Take care my lovelies

No comments:

Post a Comment